Warren Beatty 的 AFI Tribute

LyridsMC

来自: LyridsMC(Keep Calm and Stay Dench) 组长
2008-06-18 09:23:06

加入小组后即可参加投票
  • LyridsMC

LyridsMC (Keep Calm and Stay Dench) 组长 楼主 2008-06-18 09:24:41

As many people noted Beatty’s long history of romantic conquests before meeting and marrying the love of his life, Bening, in 1991, Hart’s words may have been all too true considering what happened to him. And it wasn’t just liberals — although at one point, the evening really took on the look of a Hollywood backyard Democratic fundraiser. Among the many video tributes that were interspersed (rather skillfully, I might add) with the live speeches was one from Sen. John McCain. He and Beatty are actually quite good friends as it turns out, even though their politics — as each has pointed out — are very different. I think the audience was a little taken aback when they saw McCain’s face pop up among those of Goldie Hawn, Julie Christie, Arthur Penn, Streisand, Paul Sorvino, Charles Grodin, Estelle Parsons, Robert Towne and Pacino (who later surprised the room by also coming to give Beatty the AFI honor). Here’s a case where politicians shouldn’t make jokes. McCain’s was something to the effect that he, the Senator, had been bombed — as in literally — in Vietnam, but Warren had once “bombed” with Miss Vietnam. Ouch! But, as Beatty himself said when he took the stage, the AFI event was “like psychoanalysis.” Indeed, I cannot recall a tribute like this when so many famous people showed up and spoke, without Teleprompters or notes, from the heart. All of the speeches were superb, and some were sublime. Faye Dunaway nearly stole the evening by recalling “Bonnie and Clyde” in rhyme a la her Bonnie Parker character from that landmark movie. Hoffman, whom everyone would like to speak at their lifetime achievement ceremonies, came with a sheaf of papers and held the room in thrall as he touted Beatty and tweaked Nicholson for choosing the losing Lakers over his best friend until the very end of the night. And then there were the women. A stunning looking Fonda — noting that she and Beatty had done their first screen test together — told the audience what she’d told this column a few months ago. When they met, she thought he was gay. “He was so good-looking and all his male friends were gay. What were the odds he wasn’t?” Perhaps the biggest serious jolt of the night came from Diane Keaton, who never speaks about her personal life. Dramatically taking the stage at the end of the night, after Clinton, Dustin, et al she presented right before her two former lovers, Pacino and Beatty himself, and just after Nicholson. Keaton also spoke without notes. She kind of joked that she didn’t remember much about her outstanding film career except that “'The Godfather' was important, 'Sleeper' was very funny and 'The Little Drummer Girl was a bomb.'" However: in recalling the landmark film she made with Beatty, “Reds,” for which she received an Oscar nomination, Keaton talked about the famous reunion-at-the-train-station scene near the film’s end. “It’s my favorite few minutes of anything I’ve done on film,” Keaton said, which is saying a lot. She said of Beatty, who directed her, “I didn’t make it easy for him.” She said that she wore a Walkman (you remember — the tape kind) “blasting Bob Dylan to block out all your direction. It was take after take till I finally got it.” Keaton continued: “It’s the memory of the kind of love I never imagined possible in the movies.” On that train station in Spain, where the scene was filmed, Keaton said, “it was the sweet anguish of love when I saw your face.” Keaton’s moment should be quite memorable when the AFI tribute is edited for broadcast on USA Network on June 25 (it's not to be missed)

• LyridsMC

LyridsMC (Keep Calm and Stay Dench) 组长 楼主 2008-06-18 09:25:08

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Bill Clinton was among those saluting Warren Beatty as the Oscar-winning actor-director received a lifetime achievement award from the American Film Institute. Warren Beatty attends the AFI tribute with his wife, Annette Bening. "Over all these decades, you have shared with us, as moviegoers, this insatiable hunger for life," the former president said during Thursday night's ceremony at the Kodak Theatre. "That's what I think about when I think of you." Stars such as Jane Fonda, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Diane Keaton, Quentin Tarantino and Halle Berry were on hand for the celebration marking Beatty's 47-year career as an actor, writer, director and producer, as were George McGovern, Gary Hart and Jerry Brown. The 3 1/2-hour event featured clips from Beatty's movies and taped tributes from Barbra Streisand, Gene Hackman, Goldie Hawn and John McCain. Hart called the 71-year-old filmmaker "as true and loyal a friend as I have ever had in this life." McGovern thanked Beatty for throwing a fundraising concert in 1972 that he said helped win him the Democratic presidential nomination that year. Berry, who starred with Beatty in the 1998 political satire "Bulworth," called him "a true legend ... a man willing to take a risk to say something meaningful to the audience through his film." Hoffman noted Beatty's numerous awards and called his friend of 40 years "a very human human being: a political activist of no short order, a proven artist of Herculean proportions, the husband of Annette Bening, the father of Kathlyn, Benjamin, Isabel and Ella, and the best friend of Jack Nicholson." Hoffman joked about Nicholson's absence -- presumably due to the Lakers-Celtics championship game a few miles away at the Staples Center. "Rumor has it that he was going to try to combine the two," Hoffman said. "Rumor also has it that he might have been sitting courtside in a tuxedo." Nicholson showed up later, speaking in a hoarse voice and wearing his trademark shades. He said Beatty "has received eight times as many awards as he's made pictures." "You get all these honors because of your passion and your dedication to excellence," said Nicholson, who presented Beatty with the Irving G. Thalberg Award at the 2000 Academy Awards. "This is why I'm crazy about your work." Beatty, who won a directing Oscar for 1981's "Reds," said his "big sister Shirley MacLaine" had led him into the movie business. His films also include "Heaven Can Wait," "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Bugsy." He thanked the film industry for leading him to Bening, "who has given me the most important thing of all, which is her love." Beatty said he was "particularly humbled by the presence" of McGovern, Hart, Brown and Clinton, and he described himself as "an old-time, unrepentant, unreconstructed, tax-and-spend, bleeding-heart, die-hard liberal Democrat." "The 36th Life Achievement Award: A Tribute to Warren Beatty" is scheduled to air June 25 on the USA Network.

• LyridsMC

LyridsMC (Keep Calm and Stay Dench) 组长 楼主 2008-06-18 09:25:24

Pacino, Keaton in Backstage Soap Opera How did Al Pacino and Diane Keaton even exist together for a minute backstage at the AFI Tribute to Warren Beatty in Hollywood on Thursday night? (See Friday’s column for my first report from this extraordinary event.) The former lovers have not spoken to each other since right before they filmed the very terrible "Godfather III." Their relationship came to a crashing end when Keaton learned — a year after the fact — that Pacino had fathered a daughter in 1989 with his assistant, Jan Tarrant. Keaton was devastated, friends told me at the time. The result was the complete chaos that resulted in "The Godfather III," Keaton’s subsequent relationship with director James Foley and her adoption of two children of her own a few years later. Pacino, by the way, came out to introduce Beatty and give him the AFI Award. I don’t know if you’ll see this on the June 25 show, but he then stood off-camera to Beatty’s left while Warren spoke, instead of just vanishing. It was very respectful, and you could tell he was genuinely excited to hear his friend’s acceptance speech. RelatedColumn Archive Al Pacino, Diane Keaton in Backstage Soap Opera'Hulk' Has $60M WeekendWarren Beatty Feted in Hollywood Left-FestIncredible Sulk? Edward Norton Skips 'Hulk' PublicityFOX 411: Polanski Lawyers Versus L.A. Court Full-page Fox411 Archive Video Billy Preston Tribute But emotions were running high, especially as Keaton and Pacino were preceded on the Kodak stage by Jack Nicholson. Beatty’s best friend had been absent from the AFI tribute all evening so he could watch the Lakers-Celtics game. Dustin Hoffman, in his speech for Beatty, had good fun with the missing pal, constantly reminding the honoree: "I’m here. Jack, are you here?" When he finally arrived, Nicholson wore a long black Nehru jacket that looked like it had been designed by Yohji Yohamoto and his trademark sunglasses. The gist of his remarks, as you may see during the broadcast of this unusually star-studded and off-the-cuff night, was that he’d already given Beatty a few awards. Nicholson looked like he hadn’t slept in a while, and his demeanor suggested that perhaps he’d drowned his sorrows over the Lakers before arrival at the Kodak. He said, "It was suggested I go somewhere and find my sense of humor," he said with a smirk. He also commented on having to follow Bill Clinton on stage. Beatty, it should be noted, was incredibly amused by the whole thing. He especially liked Hoffman’s speech, in which we learned that the famous Hollywood lothario had worked during his early days in New York as a "sand man" helping to dig the Lincoln Tunnel. This would have been during the completion of the third tube in 1956-57. That same year, Hoffman also revealed that Beatty tried out for but didn’t get a part on Broadway in Jerome Robbins’ "West Side Story." "I’m going to ask you to come up and sing ‘Maria,'" Hoffman joked. "It was Riff, not Tony!" Beatty shouted from the main table. Hoffman said he got a lot of his facts from Wikipedia, and after Googling Beatty. "I guess not everything there is right," he said, when Beatty corrected some other facts in his toast. The crowd of Hollywood types, many subjects of erroneous Internet info, roared with laughter. Beatty and wife Annette Bening did love the evening. They not only went to the after-party upstairs, but stayed until the bitter end — at least past 1 a.m., when this jet-lagged reporter begged off to go to sleep. They shook hands and took pictures literally with every single one of the 600 guests, including dozens of total strangers. One young man asked Beatty if, like John Reed in "Reds," he had trouble balancing politics and art in his life. Which, this nice guy asked, did he want more of now? Beatty’s answer was surprising, considering how involved he’s been in politics during his career. "Art!" he announced. He told me he still has no definite plans for a film after his last one, "Town & Country," in 2001. He’s turned down at least two offers from Quentin Tarantino, in both "Kill Bill" films and in "Death Proof." His face was just — to use a pun of a word here — beatific: "I just want to be with my kids and my wife." Just a PS: Also in the audience on Thursday night: Eva Mendes, stunning, very quiet, stayed just past Clinton’s speech, then exited. She was unaccompanied.

• LyridsMC

LyridsMC (Keep Calm and Stay Dench) 组长 楼主 2008-06-18 09:29:53

那天晚上对DianeKeaton来说应该真的很尴尬吧。。。她的那么多“EX”聚在一起。。。Warren Beatty,Al Pacino,Jack Nicholson。。。

你的回应

回应请先 , 或 注册

250 人聚集在这个小组
↑回顶部