1. Booger. - Yes, hello, Barney.
• booger （北美，非正式）（一粒）鼻屎 （犹豫了一下还是不放图了^^）
2. You do the little fluff pieces at the end of the news.
Robin: Well, kind of a reporter. I do those dumb little fluff pieces at the end of the news.
e.g. The film is a piece of typical Hollywood fluff.
3. For your information, my boss is about to bump me up to the city hall beat.
• For your information，就是我们经常说的FIY,大概意思是供你参考
• bump up 突然增加提高
e.g. bump up prices 哄抬物价
• city all (N.Amer.) municipal offices or officers collectively
• beat [singular] a subject or area of a city that someone is responsible for as their job
e.g. journalists covering the Washington beat
4. So I'm not going to jeopardize my promotion by saying "booger" for 50 bucks.
Marshal: Ted! I’m jeopardizing my law career so that you can throw not one, not two, but three parties for some girl that you just met who’s probably not gonna show up.
5. Step into my web.
6. Whose bourbon is this?
I could've sworn I hated bourbon.
• I could have sworn 我本可以发誓
• must have done 对过去的动作的猜测
e.g. You must have seen him yesterday. 你昨天一定看到他了。
• must do对现在动作的猜测
e.g. You must know him well, for you can tell us more about him.
• should have done表示假设，过去应该做而没有做，含有责备的意思
e.g. You should have done your homework earlier.
• could have done表示假设，与过去的事实相反
e.g. He could have been very rich, but he cared for no money at all
7. I spent 27 years making up my mind about things, right?
Maybe it's time to start forming some second impressions.
• make up one’s mind 决定，下决心
• form, gain, get have, obtain , receive+ impression 形成印象，觉得； 有观感
8. You're finally gonna watch Goonies again?
"Sloth love Chunk."
The Goonies（1985）七宝奇谋，(S04中还会提到Lily can quote every line
from the Goonies.)
• Sloth love Chunk.
9. What if there's someone from my past who I thought was
wrong for me at the time, when in fact she, like this shirt, is
actually a perfect fit?
• at the time通常用于过去时句子中，指某件事情发生的“当时”、“那时”
e.g. Many people saw the strange thing happen at the time.
• at the time 接of，表示在某事发生的时候，或在…的时代
e.g. Were you in San Francisco at the time of the big earthquake
• at that time通常指前文明确提到的某个时期、时候。后面不加of
e.g. In the 17th century much corn was grown in Tibet and
Sichuan. At that time the land along the Changjiang River
was becoming very crowded.
• at one time=during a period of time in the past 过去有一段时间，曾经
e.g. They used to be good friends at one time. 他们曾经是好朋友。
• at a time意为“一次”，表示一个时间单位，常与表示数量词语连用，表示频率。
e.g. Take the medicine three times a day and three pieces at a
10. Hold up.
e.g. Two policemen held up a truck so as to inspect the driver’s
• breast implants隆胸
12. Let's think... Ted's greatest hits.
• big, greatest, huge, massive, real, smash+ hits
• greatest hits 也作为精选集(下图是我特别喜欢的一张精选集!!!)
13. Say what you will about the porn industry, they're hard workers.
• say what you will 无论你怎么说
14. when I was 16, I was driving, and I hit this hitchhiker.
• hitchhiker 搭便车的人(我们都听说过站在路边伸出拇指)
15. The tea candles on her dresser, the sock monkey collection on her bed.
• tealight 装饰或芳香疗法用的小蜡烛
• tea candle也是指那种小扁蜡烛
• dresser (北美)梳妆台
• sock monkey 袜子猴
16. Well, why'd you guys break up?
可以回答： Our personalities clash. 我们性格不合。
17. (On phone) All right, get back to me, then.
• = I’ll respond to you later (by phone, email…)
18. Hey, is it cold in here?
这句话不是问这里是不是冷，而是特指 some girls got ‘em…（自己理解）
19. Oh, search your soul, Robin. Sure, Metro News One pays you jack,
and, hey, a little green salad on the side is good for you, me, and Mr. McGee.
slang (俚语) =money
• a little green salad on the side
green salad 蔬菜沙拉
在美国点汉堡之类的快餐会有配菜，如french fries, salad, 称为side order，一般会问：What would you like on the side?
green salad on the side：Barney refers to money (specifically, making money on the side) when he speaks of "green salad on the side." He's speaking in an exaggerated style of a smooth talker or a con artist, which is why that's funny, and why Lily wonders aloud whether any real people talk like that.
• Mr McGee 卡通人物，这里是指robin的老板。
20. What baby really likes is the thrill of pulling one over on those bean-counters who underappreciate you, and still haven't promoted you, and so for two more hundy sticks, baby's going to look in the camera and say this.
• thrill of 一阵兴奋
e.g. the thrill of jumping out of an aerophone. 跳出飞机时的兴奋感。
• pull one over on somebody = to deceive someone 骗或愚弄某人
• bean counter极善于计较的人，这里指Robin的老板是个数豆子的人，小气鬼。
• hundy-stick = A $100 bill, a Benjamin
20. I'm just assuming. 我就假设一下。
21. Why would Natalie hang up on you?
• would 这里要注意，是要，到底的意思
参考第16： Why would you guys break up?
• hang up on 将电话筒挂上
e.g. I tried to talk to her, but she hung up on me.
22. And her birthday might've been coming up.
• might have been 虚拟语气，多表示猜测
e.g. You might have said that before.
• come up (某时间，事件) 接近；来临
(of a specified time or event) approach or draw near
e.g. Her birthday is coming up. 她就要过生日了（进行时表将来）
23. Well, did she cry her eyes out?
• cry one’s eyes out 痛哭
24. maybe we should just... call it a day.
• call it a day 到此为止 (decide or agree to stop doing sth.)
25. Not exactly the point I was trying to make, Marshall.
26. Personally, I'd rather hear the bad news on an answering machine than face the humiliation in person.
• answering machine 电话答录机（注意介词是on）
27. You just didn't have the sack to face those tears.
28. Take him to the vet?
• veterinarian <正>兽医
• veterinary 兽医
• vet 兽医， veterinarian的缩写词
29. That's one I owe you.• owe someone one (informal)feel indebted to someone
e.g. Thanks, I owe you one for this.
e.g. I owe you for the taxi.
e.g. I owe it to him to explain what’s happened.
e.g. He owes his good health to plenty of exercise and a regular life.
e.g. I owe my life to you. 我应该感谢你救了我的命。
30. I only came down here 'cause you wouldn't take my call.
• down 到，去
e.g. I am just going down the shops.
• would 又出现了would表示意愿，愿；偏要，肯
e.g. I told him not to go, but he would not listen.
31. Up yours three years ago.
• up yours! (粗俚) 去你的！(其实比这个更粗一些，我不打上去了你懂的)
32. How come nobody told me?
• how come 为什么；怎么会…(那样) =why
e.g. How come he got the job? 怎么他会得到这个职位呢？
33. Sorry, not the issue. （问题，争论点，跑题了你可以这么说）
34. Look, Natalie, I was just a stupid kid back then, terrified of commitment.
• be terrified of 对…感到恐怖
35. Self-respect is overrated.
• self-respect=self-esteem/ self-regard 自尊心
• overrate vt. 对（质量、能力等）估计过高，（本句有上纲上线的意思）
e.g. I think that film is overrated.
36. Maybe it was the caffeine, but you really brought your game up to a whole new level.
• bring up to 提升到
在talent show 节目中是不是经常听到选手说：
I must bring my A-game. 我必须拿出我的绝杀技。
37. I did just start subscribing to Esquire.
• Esquire 杂志，国内译名《君子》/《时尚先生》
38. It seemed like happily ever after wasn't far off.
• happily ever after 参考EP02 note14.
• far off 远， 在远处的
39. Well, I better run. I have my Krav Maga class in half an hour.
• I better run. 我得走了，我得挂电话了。
• Krav Maga 以色列搏击术（以色列军队中使用的防身术）
40. You know, that Natalie, she's good times.
• (slang) = She is fun.
good times= big time
41. Yeah, Ted, hold on to that one.
• hold on to 坚持
42. It's ineffable
• ineffable 妙不可言的，不可言喻的
The beauty of a sunset is ineffable. 日落的美难以形容。
• effable 能说出来的，可表达的
43. It's the "Stairway to Heaven" of breakup lines.
• stairway to heaven 是Led Zeppelin的一首摇滚神作，译为天堂之梯
stairway to heaven
• breakup lines 分手台词
pick-up line 搭讪用的开场白(参考ep03，note35)
44. It's comforting
• comforting 安慰的，令人鼓舞的
• comfortable 安逸的，使人舒服的
45. There's no way out.
• way out摆脱困境的办法
46. No, no, we're gonna get you out of this.
• get out of 摆脱，脱离
e.g. It is not easy to get out of a bad habit.
47. The chances of one person being another person's "the one" are, like, six billion-to-one.
48. I just wrapped up a live newscast by honking my own boobs.
• wrap up [口] 完成，结束
• newscast <美> 新闻广播
• honk my own boobs
On her third dare from Barney, she honks her own breasts during
a report. 在第三次大冒险中，robin在采访honk her own boobs
炫耀胸部，honk horn 鸣笛，
49. And great TV was had by all.
• A good time was had by all. (= Everyone had a good time.)
50. Elbert "Icky" Woods, the Bengals were fools to cut you in '91.
Your 1,525 rushing yards and your 27 touchdowns will not be forgotten. So Coach Dave Shula, screw you and your crappy steakhouse.
• Elbert “Icky” Woods, 原名 Elbert L. Woods, 是效力于美国职业橄榄球联盟（NFL）中辛辛那提孟加拉虎队（Cincinnati Bengales）的著名后卫。Icky Woods 以他庆祝touchdown的招牌动作“Ickey Shuffle”闻名，可以去看下视频，很好玩。
• 橄榄球中rushing称为跑阵， passing称为传球，touchdown称为达阵球场上每5码会划一条分码线（yard lines）
• crappy <俚>蹩脚的，没价值的，讨厌的
• steakhouse 牛排餐厅
51. Everyone, everyone, if I may direct your attention to the television.
• direct 将（注意力、精力或感情）集中在
e.g. We direct our anger and frustration at family.
52. Come on, baby. Bring it home.
• "Bring it home" often refers figuratively to taking a general idea and applying it practically, or taking a general concept and making it more concrete, employing it to analyze a more specific situation.
53. And right then, Aunt Robin realized how important her job truly was.
• right then 就在那时
54. My mom throws the huge crawfish boils, and she's just dying to meet you, by the way.
• crawfish boil 熬小龙虾，美国南部菜肴，主要是土豆玉米洋葱和小龙虾一起烹制。
55. I want to do right by you, and I think the best way for me to do that is just to be honest.
• do right by (from Wiktionary)
to treat, deal with, or act toward (someone) in a morally just, socially honorable fashion.
= doing the right thing for that person, not letting that person down.
56. Oh, God, just let it out. They’re only tears.
• let out （北美）（课程，会议，娱乐）结束
e.g. his classes let out at noon.
• let someone out 不再让（某人）负责，不再猜疑（某人）
• let something out 发出声音或叫声（utter a sound or cry）
e.g. He let out a sign of happiness. 他愉快地舒了口气。
57. Okay, what's going on is you broke my heart over my answering machine on my birthday, waited three years for me to get over you,
tracked me down, begged me to go out with you again, only so you could dump me three weeks later, again, on my birthday!
• get over 从…中恢复过来
e.g. She seemed to have got over her distress.
• track down 追不到， 追查出
e.g. I was not long before I tracked down the lost watch.
58. It's a form of guerilla street fighting developed by the Israeli army.
• guerilla 游击队，非正规军队
• Israeli 以色列的
59. This is compliments of those two gentlemen at the bar.
• compliments of
- Compliments of that guy.
the compliments of (with someone’s compliments)
used to express the fact that what one is giving is free
e.g. All drinks will be supplied with our compliments.
60. Turns out the truth has a mean roundhouse kick.
• roundhouse kick (主要指空手道中旋转身体的)大挥腿踢法
61. I'm bleeding internally. 内出血
62. Hey, Ted, you know what always picks me up when I'm down?
Other people's misfortune. You missed something so amazing.
• pick up 爬（站）起来，振作起来
e.g. His spirits picked up. 他的精神振奋起来了。
• misfortune 不幸/不幸的事
e.g. Misfortunes never come single. 祸不单行。
63. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try to do the right thing, you just end up flat on your back, flailing around in a big pile of horse crap.
• flat on one’s back
e.g. He was lying flat on his back. 他仰面平躺着。
• flail about/around 胡乱摆动
e.g. He flailed about in the water, shouting ‘I can’t swim! ’
• pile of 一堆
e.g. a pile of books 一摞书
• crap 废话，垃圾，粪便
在口语中会经常用到 I don’t give a crap/shit. 表示根本不在意或不信对方所说。
64. But, you know, bad as that night was, within a year, Natalie was married.
• bad as that night was
e.g. Much as I like it (= Although I like it very much), I will not buy it.
e.g. Wait as you may (= Although you may wait), he will not see
e.g. Intelligent as you are (= Although you are intelligent), I
suspect you will fail.
e.g. Child as he is (= Although he is a child), he can tell right from
65. So that's the upside of hurt. 这是伤害中的积极面。
• upside down 颠倒着，倒转着；乱七八糟，混乱
e.g. The car hit a wall, tuned upside down, and ended up in a field.
The divorce turned his whole world upside down.
66. So you got beat up by a girl?
• beat up <美俚> 痛殴，毒打某人
67. Is that all you're taking away from this story?
• 拿走，引申为学到，之所以会写这个词组是因为在平时写paper的时候经常会有take-away point，就是问你学到了什么，写自己的思考。