Archived script: 'National Day of Listening' Promoted; Listening to Stories of Poverty http://www.voanews.com/learningenglish/home/a-23-2008-11-25-voa3-83136352.html
1. A roasted turkey is the traditional star of the holiday meal, usually served with extra helpings of the latest family news.
a generous helping of potatoes, a helping of food.
2. A nonprofit group that collects oral histories for archiving at the Library of Congress is urging Americans to start a new tradition
Urgue somebody to do: 力劝，敦促 sb. to do
3. Set aside one hour to do: 留出一个小时...
4. Ride bus : 乘坐巴士, also Take bus
5. Nation's official poverty rate 国家公布的贫困人口比率
6. So the driver takes our tickets, we get on the bus, find seats and settle in.
Settle in: 安顿下来，坐定， settle sth. sb. in where, 将...安顿好，放稳
7. headset: 戴在头上的耳机或听筒
8. I really did want to emphasize the motion.
emphasize the motion: refer to the context, it means the author is more interested in talking to people living their lives, and what they are doing for lives.
9. plolitical rallyhttp://trygveu.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/rally-1.jpg
10. get hassled : get annoyed
12.One of her more telling anecdotes is about T.J
more telling: 更能说明问题的，更值得提的
13. And food processing turns out to be a kind of euphemism for working in a meat-packing plant.
turn out to be: 实际情况是
14. in the course of conversation
15. It becomes evident that T.J. had no food with him on the trip and he had no money for food on this trip that was going to take more than twenty-four hours.
it becomes evident that: 可以明显地看出...
16. And so then when we get to a rest stop, there's a counter there where they're selling soft tacos.
17. And it was not lost on any of us, the irony of this kind of situation.
18. indigenous people : 土生土长的人