当时看她讲这个笑死了

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 01:39:50

恩,俺们还是讨论翻译的问题吧。

当然如果楼上愿意可以看一下97年她出轨的视频,一点不好笑。

http://v.youku.com/v_playlist/f2738414o1p0.html

• Rebekah

Rebekah 2010-01-25 03:46:10

Ellen DeGeneres gives a commencement speech at Tulane University on May 16, 2009.
    Thank you, President Cowan, Mrs. President Cowen; distinguished guests, undistinguished guests - you know who you are, honored faculty and creepy Spanish teacher. And thank you to all the graduating class of 2009, I realize most of you are hungover and have splitting headaches and haven't slept since Fat Tuesday, but you can't graduate 'til I finish, so listen up.
    谢谢各位,Cowan校长,校长太太,各位高贵的客人,还有不甚高贵的客人——你们知道我说的是谁啦,尊敬的各位老师,特立独行的西语老师。当然也谢谢所有09届的毕业生。我知道你们大部分人都宿醉未醒、头痛欲裂,而且从胖周二以后就没睡过,但是怎么办呢,我不讲完,你们就不能毕业,所以听着吧。
    When I was asked to make the commencement speech, I immediately said yes. Then I went to look up what commencement meant. Which would have been easy if I had a dictionary, but most of the books in our house are Portia's, and they're all written in Australian. So I had to break the word down myself, to find out the meaning.
    当得知要在毕业典礼上演讲,我毫不犹豫的答应了。然后就去看毕业典礼到底是啥意思啊。当然啦,如果有本字典的话,就很简单了,但是我们家大部分的书是portia的,你知道,这些书都是澳大利亚语的。所以我不得不自己分解一下这个字,看看是啥意思。
    Commencement: common, and cement. Common cement. You commonly see cement on sidewalks. Sidewalks have cracks, and if you step on a crack, you break your mother's back. So there's that. But I'm honored that you've asked me here to speak at your common cement.
    毕业典礼:普通,水泥。普通水泥。你们经常在人行道上看到水泥咯。人行道有些缝的,如果踩到缝隙中,肯定四脚朝天咯。所以就是这样的。但是被你们要求在这普通水泥上讲话,我还是很自豪的。
    I thought that you had to be a famous alumnus - alumini - aluminum - alumis - you had to graduate from this school. And I didn't go to college here, and I don't know if President Cowan knows, I didn't go to any college at all. Any college. And I'm not saying you wasted your time, or money, but look at me, I"m a huge celebrity.
    我想你肯定会成为名校友的,从这里毕业。我不是在这里读的大学,而且我不知道Cowan校长是不是知道,我根本就没上过大学。当然我不是说你们在浪费时间,浪费钱,但是看看我,我可是个大名人喏。
    Although I did graduate from the school of hard knocks, our mascot was the knockers. I spent a lot of time here growing up. My mom worked at (?) and I would go there every time I needed to steal something out of her purse. But why am I here today? Clearly not to steal, you're too far away and I'd never get away with it.
    但是我是从摸爬滚打学校毕业的,我们 的吉祥物就是门环。我在这里长大的,我妈妈在**工作,每当我需要从她皮夹子里偷点什么的时候,我就来了。但是,今天我为什么来这儿呢?很显然不是来偷东西的,你们隔得那么远,根本偷不到,而且我也不指望能侥幸溜走。
    I'm here because of you. Because I can't think of a more tenacious, more courageous graduating class. I mean, look at you all, wearing your robes. Usually when you're wearing a robe at 10 in the morning, it means you've given up. I'm here because I love New Orleans. I was born and raised here, I spent my formative years here, and like you, while I was living here I only did laundry six times. When I finished school, I was completely lost. And by school, I mean middle school, but I went ahead and finished high school anyway. And I - I really, I had no ambition, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I did everything from - I shucked oysters, I was a hostess, I was a bartender, I was a waitress, I painted houses, I sold vaccuum cleaners, I had no idea. And I thought I'd just finally settle in some job, and I would make enough money to pay my rent, maybe have basic cable, maybe not, I didn't really have a plan, my point is that, by the time I was your age, I really thought I knew who I was, but I had no idea. Like for example, when I was your age, I was dating men. So what I'm saying is, when you're older, most of you will be gay. Anyone writing this stuff down? Parents?
    我是因为你们才来这儿的。我想不出比你们更顽强无畏的毕业班了。我的意思是,看看你们吧,穿着礼服。通常情况下,早上十点穿着礼服,那就意味着你们被宣布无药可救了。我在这儿是因为我爱新奥尔良。我在这儿生在这儿长,在这儿度过了最好的时光,和你一样,在这儿的时候,我也就去了六趟洗衣房。当我从学校毕业的时候,很迷惘。各位,我说的是中学。但是我还是继续然后念完了高中。我真的没什么理想抱负,不知道自己想干嘛。我做过很多事情——剥牡蛎壳,夜总会招待,酒吧服务员,餐馆服务员,刷房子,卖吸尘器,哦,我不知道。我觉得我会在哪个工作里安定下来,赚够数的钱付房租啊,也许装个有线电视,也许不要,我真的没什么计划。我想说的是,我在你们的年纪,我真的觉得自己知道自己是谁,但是实际上根本不知道,举个例子,我在你们的年纪,还跟男人约会。所以啊,我要说的是,当你们再大一点,你们大部分将会是gay咯。没人把这件事写下来吗?父母们?
    Anyway, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and the way I ended up on this path was from a very tragic event. I was maybe 19, and my girlfriend at the time was killed in a car accident. And I passed the accident, and I didn't know it was her and I kept going, and I found out shortly after that, it was her. And I was living in a basement apartment, I had no money, I had no heat, no air, I had a mattress on the floor and the apartment was infested with fleas. And I was soul-searching, I was like, why is she suddenly gone, and there are fleas here? I don't understand, there must be a purpose, and wouldn't it be so convenient if we could pick up the phone and call God, and ask these questions.
    无论如何,我不清楚要怎么过自己的生活,然后一件可怕的事情结束了这种状态。差不多19岁的样子,我那时的女友在车祸中丧生。当时我从车祸旁边经过的,但是我不知道出事的是她,就那么过去了,但是很快就知道出事的原来是她。那时我住在地下室,没钱,没暖气,没空气,床垫扔在地上,到处都是跳蚤。我搜肠刮肚的想,她怎么能突然没了呢,跳蚤们却还在这儿。不能理解,一定有目的,如果能打个电话给上帝就好了,问问他。
    And I started writing and what poured out of me was an imaginary conversation with God, which was one-sided, and I finished writing it and I looked at it and I said to myself, and I hadn't even been doing stand-up, ever, there was no club in town. I said, "I'm gonna do this on the Tonight Show With Johnny Carson"- at the time he was the king - "and I'm gonna be the first woman in the history of the show to be called over to sit down." And several years later, I was the first woman in the history of the show, and only woman in the history of the show to sit down, because of that phone conversation with God that I wrote. And I started this path of stand-up and it was successful and it was great, but it was hard, because I was trying to please everybody and I had this secret that I was keeping, that I was gay. And I thought if people found out they wouldn't like me, they wouldn't laugh at me.
    然后我就开始写,汹涌而出的是我单方面的跟上帝的对话。写完看着它,我对自己说(那时我还没做过表演,镇子里也没有俱乐部),我对自己说,我要在Johnny的脱口秀中讲这个,那时johhy是脱口秀王嘛,我要成为历史上第一个在脱口秀上被点名坐下的女人。几年后,我成为历史上第一个做脱口秀的女人,也是脱口秀历史上唯一一个坐下的女人。这些都是因为我写下的那个与上帝的对话。我开始了脱口秀之路,很成功也很伟大,但是也很难,因为我试着取悦所有的人,因为我一直保守着一个秘密,那就是我是个gay。我觉得如果大家发现他们不喜欢我了,也就不会因为我笑了。
    Then my career turned into - I got my own sitcom, and that was very successful, another level of success. And I thought, what if they find out I'm gay, then they'll never watch, and this was a long time ago, this was when we just had white presidents - this was back, many years ago - and I finally decided that I was living with so much shame, and so much fear, that I just couldn't live that way anymore, and I decided to come out and make it creative. And my character would come out at the same time, and it wasn't to make a political statement, it wasn't to do anything other than to free myself up from this heaviness that I was carrying around, and I just wanted to be honest. And I thought, "What's the worst that could happen? I can lose my career". I did. I lost my career. The show was cancelled after six years, without even telling me, I read it in the paper. The phone didn't ring for three years. I had no offers. Nobody wanted to touch me at all. Yet, I was getting letters from kids that almost committed suicide, but didn't, because of what I did. And I realised that I had a purpose. And it wasn't just about me and it wasn't about celebrity, but I felt like I was being punished... it was a bad time, I was angry, I was sad, and then I was offered a talkshow. And the people that offered me the talkshow tried to sell it. And most stations didn't want to pick it up. Most people didn't want to buy it because they thought nobody would watch me.
    后来我的事业转向了另一层次的成功,我做自己的情景喜剧,也很成功。我在想,如果她们发现我是gay,那么他们永远不会看我的东西,当然这是很久以前的事情,那个时候我们只有白人总统,倒回去很多年的事啦。那时的生活充满了羞耻,充满了恐惧,我一点都不想那样生活下去,所以我决定出柜,让生活有点意思。我创作的角色也同时出柜,这不是做什么政治表达,只是没什么比把自己从沉重中解脱出来更好的了,我只是想诚实一点罢了。而且我在想“能发生什么最糟的事情啊?我可以放弃我的事业。”是的,我失去了我的工作。做了六年的脱口秀在没有任何通知的情况下停播了,我看了报纸才知道。电话三年没响。我没有任何机会。根本没人理我。当然,我也收到一些孩子的信,他们本想轻生,因为我,放弃了那个念头。然后我意识到我有一个想法,不是仅仅关于我,关于名流,但是我感觉我在被惩罚。。那是很糟糕的阶段,愤怒,悲伤。后来我得到了一个机会做脱口秀,给我机会的这个人希望有人可以买我们的节目,但是所有的电视台都不想要,因为他们觉得没人会想看我的节目。
    Really when I look back on it, I wouldn't change a thing. I mean, it was so important for me to lose everything because I found out what the most important thing is, is to be true to yourself. Ultimately, that's what's gotten me to this place. I don't live in fear, I'm free, I have no secrets. and I know I'll always be ok, because no matter what, I know who I am. So In conclusion, when I was younger I thought success was something different. I thought when I grow up, I want to be famous. I want to be a star. I want to be in movies. When I grow up I want to see the world, drive nice cars, I want to have groupies. To quote the Pussycat Dolls. How many people thought it was "boobies", by the way? It's not, it's "groupies".
    当我回头再看的时候,我不想改变任何事情,真的。我的意思是,对我来说,失去所有是非常重要的事情,因为正因为失去,我才发现什么是最重要的,那就是真实面对自己。这也是我来这里的原因咯,我不在恐惧中生活,我很自由,没有秘密,而且我知道我将一直很好,因为无论怎样,我知道我是谁啦。总结一下,我年轻的时候认为成功是与众不同的,我想当我长大的时候,变成名人,变成明星,想演电影。当我真的长大的时候,我想去看世界,开好车,我想有粉丝,引用pussycat 的话。呵呵,顺便问一句,多少人听成了“傻瓜”?不是啦,是“粉丝”。
    But my idea of success is different today. And as you grow, you'll realise the definition of success changes. For many of you, today, success is being able to hold down 20 shots of tequila. For me, the most important thing in your life is to live your life with integrity, and not to give into peer pressure. to try to be something that you're not. To live your life as an honest and compassionate person. to contribute in some way. So to conclude my conclusion: follow your passion, stay true to yourself. Never follow anyone else's path, unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path, and by all means you should follow that. Don't give advice, it will come back and bite you in the ass. Don't take anyone's advice. So my advice to you is to be true to yourself and everything will be fine.
    但是现在我关于成功的想法变了。你长大了,你也会意识到成功定义的变化。现在,对你们很多人来说,能一口气喝20口龙舌兰酒就是成功了。对我来说,生命中最重要的事情就是真实的生活,不屈服于群众压力,尝试着成为想成为的人物。做个诚实、有同情心的人,多少做点贡献。给我的结论下个结论:听从你的心,真实面对自己。永远不要走别人的路,除非你在森林里迷了路,看到条路,那就走吧。不要给别人建议,那是搬石头打自己的脚。也不要听取别人的建议。呵呵,我的建议是:真实面对自己,一切都会好。
    And I know that a lot of you are concerned about your future, but there's no need to worry. The economy is booming, the job market is wide open, the planet is just fine. It's gonna be great. You've already survived a hurricane. What else can happen to you? And as I mentioned before, some of the most devastating things that happen to you will teach you the most. And now you know the right questions to ask in your first job interview. Like, "Is it above sea level?" . So to conclude my conclusion that I've previously concluded, in the common cement speech, I guess what I'm trying to say is life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs, show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have more beads than you know what to do with. And you'll be drunk, most of the time. So the Katrina class of 2009, I say congratulations and if you don't remember a thing I said today, remember this: you're gonna be ok, dum de dum dum dum, just dance.
    我知道你们很关心自己的未来,但是没必要担心。经济迅速发展,就业前景看好,地球好着呢,而且会更好。你们已经从风灾中幸存下来,还有什么可怕的?而且我前面提过,那些毁灭性的事情将教会你最多。嗯,现在你知道在第一个工作面试中应该问什么了吧,比如“是在海平面上吧?”所以给我的结论下个结论,我前面已经结论过了,在这个普通水泥地上的演讲,我猜我想说的是,生活就像一个大的狂欢节。向人们展示你的头脑而不是波波,如果她们喜欢她们看到的,你会得到更多的珠珠,多得你不知道拿它们干吗。当然,大多时候,你会喝醉。所以,各位毕业生,恭喜你们,如果我今天说的你们一句也没记住,就请记住这个:你会很好,dum de dum dum,跳舞吧。

• [已注销]

[已注销] 2010-01-25 03:54:23

恩 真不错 复习了

• 无量河

无量河 2010-01-25 04:40:51

亲爱的你们都很有空啊 迫使俺认真地看了一遍 确实是很棒的一段演讲

不过原文字幕有错:
    ”And I thought if people found out they wouldn't like me, they wouldn't laugh at me. “
    应该是”they would laugh at me“。"
    我怕人们知道后会不喜欢我,会嘲笑我。so,这样就上下通顺了

• Rebekah

Rebekah 2010-01-25 04:42:43

嗯,我也觉得怪的~

• [已注销]

[已注销] 2010-01-25 04:47:46

M

• 你不要找到我

你不要找到我 (只吃零食不吃饭) 2010-01-25 05:34:45

原文的确是They wouldn't like me, they wouldn't laugh at me. 看视频就知道。
    之所以后面用wouldn't是因为她是做stand-up comedy的。laugh at me在这里不是嘲笑我,是觉得我讲的东西好笑。如果观众看她的show不笑了,她的职业生涯当然就毁了。

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 10:26:01

哇噢,Reb哪里弄来这段,该译者至少中文水平远超过我啊。

• Altai

Altai (成功的人找方法,失敗的人找理由) 2010-01-25 10:54:15

common cement speech = commencement speech

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 11:18:46

偶像啥意思啊?!能帮我看下第九段最后么,前文说她收到小孩来信,应该是受到鼓励自己想做点什么了,但是怎么又punished又a bad time了呢,她是不是说糊涂了,还是我没明白^_*

And I realised that I had a purpose. And it wasn't just about me and it wasn't about celebrity, but I felt like I was being punished... it was a bad time, I was angry, I was sad, and then I was offered a talkshow. And the people that offered me the talkshow tried to sell it. And most stations didn't want to pick it up. Most people didn't want to buy it because they thought nobody would watch me.

• 遗憾呐

遗憾呐 (傻妞一枚) 2010-01-25 11:46:35

the end of para3 :

But I'm honored that you've asked me here to speak at your common cement.
    不过,我很荣幸,你们让我在普通水泥上辞职。
    ------------
    是不是笔误阿?辞职? 是不是“致辞”?

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 11:47:50

收到,又丢人咧~~~

• 遗憾呐

遗憾呐 (傻妞一枚) 2010-01-25 11:58:00

5.Although I did graduate from the school of hard knocks, our mascot was the knockers. I spent a lot of time here growing up.
    虽然我在社会大学(the school of hard knocks)中饱受苦难,但我们的吉祥物就是咪咪(knockers)。我在这里长大。
    ---------------------
    our mascot was the knockers 查了下 knocker有好几个意思 但是 除非她作妓女的 否则 怎么选咪咪这个义项呢?

如果选美国口语中“吹毛求疵的人”,看似说得通。 但还有个义项是上门推销的销售员,如果她指的是这段经历,那也有可能。因为knocker原义就是门环或者敲门的东西,但翻成敲门砖就有点变味了。

有点棘手

I spent a lot of time here growing up. 这里的here是不是指推销的工作呢 还是什么?有点搞

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 12:02:19

在google里输入knoker definition就可以得到

knock·er (nkr)
    n.
    1. A hinged fixture, such as a metal ring or bar, used for knocking on a door.
    2. knockers Vulgar Slang A woman's breasts.
    3. A goblin or dwarf said to live under the earth and direct miners to ore by knocking.

楼上请看一下这里的一些讨论
    http://www.douban.com/group/topic/9619014/

• 遗憾呐

遗憾呐 (傻妞一枚) 2010-01-25 12:13:26

嗯 “磨难”

• 遗憾呐

遗憾呐 (傻妞一枚) 2010-01-25 12:18:17

So what I'm saying is, when you're older, most of you will be gay. Anyone writing this stuff down? Parents?
    所以,我想说的是,当你们长大以后都会变成同性恋的。没人把这句话记下来么?父母们?
    ---
    “大多数会变成同性恋”吧。“有人把这句话记下来了么”

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 13:03:17

恩,已经改了。可是,都不是多的意思么?^_^

不过,我原本翻的就是,“有人把这话记下来了么?父母们记下来么? ”
    但是,我看了Reb的那段翻译,我觉得,好得多得多,这里的“没”和“有”是一个意思啊,而且后面半句连接更顺,更中文。对吧,Reb?

• Happy

Happy (💐🌸🌷🍀🌹🌻🌺) 2010-01-25 13:31:10

补充一下,谷歌可知,一开头的胖周二就是最后的 Mardi Gra,一种狂欢节?

维基可知,Ellen是读过大学滴,Communication studies,恩,研究沟通的专业?但是只读了以一学期,就跟亲戚去law firm(法律公司?律师行?)打杂了。

• 无量河

无量河 2010-01-25 13:33:21

这贴有意思 mark了

• Rebekah

Rebekah 2010-01-25 15:08:22

ls起这么早?

• 无量河

无量河 2010-01-25 15:22:00

2点不到起的 饭都吃完了 在吃瓜 那个瓜~~

• Rebekah

Rebekah 2010-01-25 22:56:47

2010-01-25 10:26:01 JO (忍不住愚蠢) 哇噢,Reb哪里弄来这段,该译者至少中文水平远超过我啊。