• wasteland

wasteland (wasteland) 2012-12-06 16:38:44

m

• 你猜我是谁

你猜我是谁 2013-01-22 12:49:46

最近楼主没有讲课了吗?

• 萌纳尼

萌纳尼 2013-01-25 14:17:23

高級英語教材第二課 先讀課文﹕ Mr. President: No man thinks more highly than I do of th 高級英語教材第二課 先讀課文﹕ Mr. President: No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do, opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely, and without reserve. This is no time for ceremony. The question before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject [1]ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfil the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offence, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the majesty of heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings. Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren[2] till she transforms us into beasts[3]. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it. I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know what there has been in the conduct of the British ministry for the last ten years, to justify those hopes with which gentlemen have been pleased to solace themselves, and the House? Is it that insidious smile with which our petition has been lately received? Trust it not, sir; it will prove a snare to your feet. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss[4]. Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition comports with these war-like preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled, that force must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask, gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us; they can be meant for no other. They are sent over to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the British ministry have been so long forging. And what have we to oppose to them? Shall we try argument? Sir, we have been trying that for the last ten years. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to entreaty and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves. Sir, we have done everything that could be done, to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne. In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation? There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free, if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending, if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained, we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of Hosts[5] is all that is left us! They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance, by lying supinely on our backs, and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston[5]! The war is inevitable, and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come. It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace, but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! 1) 背景﹕To avoid interference from Lieutenant-Governor Dunmore and his Royal Marines, the Second Virginia Convention met March 20, 1775 inland at Richmond--in what is now called St. John's Church--instead of the Capitol in Williamsburg. Delegate Patrick Henry presented resolutions to raise a militia, and to put Virginia in a posture of defense. Henry's opponents urged caution and patience until the crown replied to Congress' latest petition for reconciliation. On the 23rd, Henry presented a proposal to organize a volunteer company of cavalry or infantry in every Virginia county. By custom, Henry addressed himself to the Convention's president, Peyton Randolph of Williamsburg. Henry's words were not transcribed, but no one who heard them forgot their eloquence, or Henry's closing words: "Give me liberty, or give me death!" 2) 生詞﹕自己查。 3) 註解﹕[1] 請作句子結構分析﹐看這裡有沒問題。[2] In Greek mythology, the Sirens are creatures with the head of a female and the body of a bird. They lived on an island and with the irresistible charm of their song they lured mariners to their destruction on the rocks surrounding their island. [3] Through a mythical allusion, he is metaphorically comparing how the British are saying things to the colonists which are promising false hopes to how Circe in Homer's Odyssey transformed men into swine after charming them with her singing. In Greek mythology, Circe is a minor goddess of magic, described in the Odyssey as 'The loveliest of all immortals,' living on the island of Aeaea, famous for her part in the adventures of Odysseus in Homer's Odyssey. [4] According to the Synoptic Gospels, Judas identified Jesus to the soldiers by means of a kiss, which occurs in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Last Supper, leads directly to the arrest of Jesus by the police force of the Sanhedrin (Kilgallen 271). [5] Here it denotes the god of war. 4) 這篇演講條理清楚﹐邏輯性強。擺情況﹐作分析﹐導致最後的必然結論。 5) 要求﹕能背誦。 ... 海外逸士

看到老先生为我们小辈的孜孜教诲,很感动。衷心地说声,辛苦了!祝老先生福如东海,寿比南山。

• 一休波

一休波 (想要一个张起灵) 2013-02-16 21:06:21

thanx

• jacy

jacy 2013-02-26 20:32:12

能不能发给我一份,谢谢您!240298690@qq.com

• 无心自扰

无心自扰 (晚点遇到也好,我恰好温柔~) 2013-05-16 16:16:46

MARK

• Isotope

Isotope (虔诚伪信徒) 2013-05-18 01:56:14

楼主可以帮忙发邮箱吗谢谢 jessica1995828@163.com

• 小新_99

小新_99 2013-06-03 11:28:54

719764092@qq.com 谢谢。

• L.Cat

L.Cat (Become a better me.) 2013-06-08 13:19:33

老师,我是英语专业的,但是吧,英语很一般,已经毕业了,正在工作中,做外贸,想提升自己的英语能力,以后朝着翻译方向发展,不知道该怎么去学习了,挺迷茫。。

• 十四

十四 2013-06-08 14:59:44

M,

• 温蒂yoYI

温蒂yoYI 2013-06-08 20:42:20

偶然发现的,有用,麻烦发一份2397263315@qq.com thanks a lot

• Serita

Serita 2013-06-08 20:58:33

很喜欢 可以的话能不能麻烦老师给我发一份 xyyx823@qq.com 先谢谢啦

• ♫~冬瓜小姐~

♫~冬瓜小姐~ (说出来的皆是纸话。) 2013-06-13 11:31:49

M~

• Cindy

Cindy (seek myself) 2013-06-24 12:51:16

m

• Jessie

Jessie 2013-07-05 11:56:27

material sent to xuyian32@yahoo.com.cn please check it. can you tell me sth about you material sent to xuyian32@yahoo.com.cn please check it. can you tell me sth about your studies? I really like to help a sstudent in English major to become a master of that language. ... 海外逸士

老师您好,能不能麻烦您把这份资料发我邮箱里,jessie40@yahoo.cn,谢谢您! 我是英语专业的希望在英语方面可以进一步提高。

• wendy不许木

wendy不许木 (想清楚,一步步往前走。) 2013-07-29 15:47:52

[内容不可见] [内容不可见] [已注销]

请问一下你现在还有全部教材吗?因为我看楼主先生好像已经不怎么来更了~感觉这个课文真好啊~

• 南瓜妹妹

南瓜妹妹 (神经质滴妞妞) 2013-07-31 01:39:09

m,自己打印出来学习

• 鹿仔女

鹿仔女 ((╯‵□′)╯︵┴─┴) 2013-08-01 17:04:36

老师没上豆瓣了吗? 老师您好~ 我是英语专业的毕业生,现在刚又找到一份工作,跟英语简直是没什么关系!(很气馁) 我平时在看英语的时候,也会注意新单词,但是我有时就光顾着新单词了,读得没滋味,要不然就是读得很顺,不管单词了,老师这种情况怎么办? 毕业后很少用英语,有次练着写英语作文和做下翻译,结果发现自己即使有积累词语还是无法和大学时的水平相比,(更气馁了。。。 谢谢老师~祝老师一切顺利~

• lillilyik

lillilyik 2013-08-02 11:26:27

• a-letter

a-letter (three letters.) 2013-08-08 14:47:21

高級英語教材第22課 先讀課文﹕ TOO DEAR FOR THE WHISTLE by Hunter When I was a chil 高級英語教材第22課 先讀課文﹕ TOO DEAR FOR THE WHISTLE by Hunter When I was a child of seven years old, my friends, on a holiday, filled my pockets with coppers. I went directly to a shop where they sold toys for children; and being charmed with the sound of a whistle, that I met by the way in the hands of another boy, I voluntarily offered and gave all my money for one. I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family. My brothers, and sisters, and cousins, understanding the bargain I had made, told me I had given four times as much for it as it was worth; put me in mind of what good things I might have bought with the rest of the money; and laughed at me so much for my folly, that I cried with vexation; and the reflection gave me more chagrin than the whistle gave me pleasure.This, however, was afterwards of use to me, the impression continuing on my mind; so that often, when I was tempted to buy some unnecessary thing, I said to myself, "Don't give too much for the whistle"; and I saved my money. As I grew up, came into the world, and observed the actions of men, I thought I met with many, very many, "who gave too much for the whistle." When I saw one too ambitious of court favor,sacrificing his time in attendance on levees, his repose, his liberty, his virtue, and perhaps his friends, to attain it, I have said to myself--"This man gives too much for his whistle." When I saw another fond of popularity, constantly employing himself in political bustles, neglecting his own affairs, and ruining them by that neglect, "He pays, indeed," said I, "too dear for his whistle. " If I knew a miser, who gave up every kind of comfortable living, all the pleasure of doing good to others, all the esteem of his fellow-citizens, and the joys of benevolent friendship, for the sake of accumulating wealth--"Poor man," said I, "you pay too dear for your whistle." When I met a man of pleasure, sacrificing every laudable improvement of the mind, or of his fortune, to mere corporeal sensations, and ruining his health in their pursuit--"Mistaken man," said I, "you are providing pain for yourself, instead of pleasure; you are paying too dear for your whistle." If I see one fond of appearance or fine clothes, fine houses, fine furniture, fine equipages, all above his fortune, for which he contracts debts, "Alas," say I, "he has paid dear, very dear for his whistle." In short, I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by the false estimate they have made of the value of things, and by their giving "too much for their whistles." 1) 生詞自查。 2) 這是一篇非常有趣的短文。我在開始學英文時讀過。現在記起來﹐找來與大家共 賞。 ... 海外逸士

劳烦先生也发给我一份高级英语教材,不甚感激。2683890102@qq.com

• 香格里拉在哪里

香格里拉在哪里 (昨日之日不可留) 2013-08-08 14:57:59

m

• leesyang

leesyang 2013-08-15 11:47:18

好长。。。 每天读一点,然后再翻译!

• 很幸福斯基

很幸福斯基 2013-12-12 16:39:43

M

• 激萌激萌酱

激萌激萌酱 2013-12-12 16:41:53

可否发一份512081225@qq.com多谢~

• 童姨

童姨 (La fin.) 2013-12-17 22:09:02

比較想看藝術類的課文 估計對學生面試會挺有用

• 咻咻

咻咻 (多多做事,好好赚钱) 2014-01-06 00:42:51

英语专业 同求教程:hdwycy@163.com 怎么觉着您这么像我们高英老师呐...惶恐...

• nina

nina 2014-01-07 10:47:43

求发一份,邮箱ninatin@126.com

• Tanya_Wu

Tanya_Wu (热爱生活呀~) 2014-01-21 18:13:33

Address to Chinese Learners of English Learners of English, I'm here appealing to your Address to Chinese Learners of English Learners of English, I'm here appealing to your earnest desire for further studies. I'm here warning you that you should not be satisfied with your basic knowledge only. You must read more and practice writing, if you want to rank among the best. Knowledge and skills can't be gained in a day. There's no shortcut on the way to the peak of learning. Perseverance over a long time is necessary. If you halt in your studies, you will by degrees recede from where you are. You will gradually forget what you have learned so far. You won't be able to fish out some words from your mind when needed, which you diligently memorized before, as you don't use them often. It's just like an old acquaintance made long ago you can't make out whom he is now after many years of separation. Besides holding on to your acquirements so far, you must leap over all the hurdles and march through marshes and woods to the summit of learning so that you can be proud of yourself as a giant in that language. Be assured, I'm always here for you. So, write something for me this very moment, and for yourself, too. ... 海外逸士

Thanks for your encouragement!

• sony

sony 2014-02-24 20:21:23

正在向您所说的精去做, 你有自己的文笔吗。和我们分享下,你发的那些东西是经典,很支持!要是你自己有好的经典和我们分享下就更好了。自己的随笔,各种文风什么的。

• 娜娜

娜娜 2014-03-07 09:45:55

mark

• 哪时花开

哪时花开 (我想吃草莓) 2014-04-16 14:15:13

if it is convenient ,could you please sent these to zhaoltrose@163.com thanks a lot sir if it is convenient ,could you please sent these to zhaoltrose@163.com thanks a lot sir deutsch

[内容不可见]

• 格格格妖精

格格格妖精 2014-04-16 18:05:16

m

• Miazero

Miazero (seize the day ~) 2014-06-06 10:59:12

英语专业的,同求资料,想打印出来学习,lachcat@126.com, 劳烦先生了~

• 自由之子

自由之子 2014-07-25 13:05:47

能不能发给我一份,谢谢您!652674665@qq.com

• 王赫

王赫 2015-04-13 14:56:25

我们做了一个跟外国人交朋友同时做语言交换的平台 关注微信公众平台 jollyknows

• yico雨伞

yico雨伞 2015-04-14 15:07:34

m

• 一兜麦

一兜麦 (时间吞噬所有细节) 2015-04-20 15:45:05

老师你还在吗 可以发一份到我邮箱吗 284531239@qq.com 最近在学习提高英语呢

• 词故

词故 2015-08-13 11:38:04

求资料万分感谢~:)) 512052008@qq.com

• 渴望空气

渴望空气 2018-12-04 09:21:53

哇,没想到还有这种神仙式老前辈,好厉害!翻看了一下大家的留言时间,看样子老先生已经很久没上网了,最新一篇微博也是几年前了,希望先生一切安好,天天开心!我最近开始看高口翻译教程,翻了10篇左右英译中,发现两种语言差异真挺大的(知道是废话,但以前只会说,完全说不出有什么差异……),边译边总结了一些问题和发现,我觉得非常有意思。希望自己能坚持下去,争取早日取得更大进步!

• Habby资深译者

Habby资深译者 (经典重译\科普\经管) 2019-05-18 19:19:05

很多年以前看过这位老先生译的诗,相当有水平了,一直自称海外逸士。他当年还在新浪开过博客。百度有海外逸士的词条,不仅对英诗有造诣,而且还写过两部长篇小说,好几个英文书,可是却没连他的真名都没有写,于是产生了兴趣,稍微调查了一下。海外逸士原名吴兴禄,当年他说自己年逾古稀,如今早已耄耋之年了。

<前页 1 2 3 后页>

你的回应

回应请先 , 或 注册

9782 人聚集在这个小组
↑回顶部